The Call For Entries invites film submissions for the International Buddhist Film Festival.
The International Buddhist Film Festival is committed to presenting, archiving and preserving Buddhist-themed or Buddhist-inspired cinema from all over the world. All types of films are sought: features, documentaries, shorts, animated works, children’s films and experimental/art works. IBFF particularly seeks films that explore the diversity of Buddhist experience, perspective, aesthetic or tradition, or which present a new, alternative take on Buddhist identity, culture, and/or history. (Please do not submit PSAs or institutional promotions, thank you.)
Works to be exhibited are chosen through a combination of program committee invitations as well as through international Call For Entries solicitations. The IBFF is non-competitive; no prizes are awarded. Films include English language or subtitled works from all over the world, and embrace a very broad and fluid definition of “buddhist.”
The IBFF presents a continuous series of film festivals in several cities in a two year season. Once accepted for IBFF presentation, your film is eligible for all festivals in the season. Submissions are accepted year round; deadlines for specific festival events are posted as they are announced. You may use FilmFreeway for your submission:
- Dramatic—any film made with actors performing a script
- Documentary—nonfiction works (but preferably not narration-driven)
- Animated Works—any work primarily of animation (of any kind)
- Television Works—any work produced specifically for television as part of a show, strand or series
- Experimental/Art Works—short works that creatively approach Buddhist issues, iconography, practice, aesthetics, history, literature, culture, personalities, philosophy, places or art, or derive from or relate to meditation, even obliquely
- Children’s Films—works that are designed for audiences under the age of 16
Up to 50 minutes in length: US$25
Over 50 minutes in length: US$45
Payment in US dollars by bank check, money order, mailed to the delivery address below, or via PayPal.
Please submit DVD screeners, PAL or NTSC, or you may post your film online (any platform).
Selected works will be screened from your Blu-ray disk or HD (or better) file on a hard drive; DCP, Digibeta or HDCam may be possible, depending on venue. Please indicate with your submission which formats will be available.
A press kit will be required for all selected works. Kit must include print-quality promotional photographs as digital files, as well as Director’s biography, production notes and film’s screening history. Instructions for delivery will be provided with selection notification.
International Buddhist Film Festival
Zaentz Media Center
2600 Tenth Street, Suite 409
Berkeley, CA, 94710-3104