MAGICIAN, MURDERER, SAINT
A film by Neten Chokling
“I cry, weep and feel a strong sense of faith each time I read or hear the story of Milarepa, the great yogi of Tibet.” –His Holiness the Dalai Lama
“One of the most powerful stories of love and transformation in world literature.” –Richard Gere
“A powerful revenge drama.” –Hollywood Reporter
“A must-see for anyone concerned about the patterns of violence and retribution consuming today’s world.” –The Guardian (UK)
- Best Spiritual Fiction Award, European Spiritual Film Festival
- Audience Award Winner National Geographic All Roads Film Festival
- Official Selection Mill Valley Film Festival
- Official Selection Berlin International Film Festival
- Official Selection Pusan International Film Festival
- Official Selection Vancouver International Film Festival
- Official Selection Bangkok International Film Festival
- Official Selection Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival
- Official Selection International Buddhist Film Festival
This is the vividly told and captivating story of Milarepa, the man who would become Tibet’s greatest yogi and saint. In the dramatic setting of 11th century Tibet, the young Milarepa falls into a world of betrayal and hardships. The greed of others upturns his privileged life, dropping him into a void of despair, humiliation, pain and anger, and he sets out to exact revenge.
Filmed on location near the breathtakingly scenic Indo-Tibetan border.
- Interview with Director Neten Chokling
- Who Is Milarepa? documentary by Neten Chokling, with Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, Pema Chodron, Robert Thurman, and others.
90 min / Color / Tibetan (English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese subtitles) / Stereo / NTSC / Region 1